The family of the slain Uvalde teacher whose husband died of heart attack days later and the father of a 10-year-old boy also killed in the deadly shooting joined the $100 million lawsuit against the gunman’s estate.
Injury attorney Thomas Henry, who filed a lawsuit against 18-year-old shooter Salvador Ramos’s estate on behalf of four parents whose children were injured in the massacre on May 24, said two more families have signed onto the suit as of Thursday.
The new plaintiffs include the families of Robb Elementary School teacher Irma Garcia, 48 – whose husband, Joe, died of a heart attack days later – and Jose Flores Jr., 10, both of whom were among the 21 people killed by Ramos before he died in a shootout with police.
Henry said the lawsuit will also focus on holding accountable the school system, law enforcement, social media, and gun and ammunition manufacturers that enabled the shooting to occur.
‘We’re sending a message to our country, this cannot go on anymore,’ Henry said.’There will be consequences.
‘This case is going be about the flaws and errors that led to this tragic loss of life.’
Six families of those injured and killed at the Uvalde elementary school massacre filed a $100 million lawsuit against the estate of the shooter, Salvador Ramos (pictured)
Joining the lawsuit against Ramos’ estate was the family of Robb Elementary School teacher Irma Garcia (right), whose husband, Joe (left), died of a heart attack days later
Also signing onto the suit was Jose Flores Sr.(left), whose 10-year-old Son, Jose Jr., was among the 19 kids gunned down by Ramos
Among those filing the lawsuit were Christopher Salinas (left), father Samuel, 10, and Oscar Orona (right), father of Noah, 10.Also suing were Cristina Olivarez and Angelica Rodriguez
The lawsuit names Ramos’ mother, Adriana Reyes, as a potential defendant as the shooter, who was killed by law enforcement, does not yet have official representation over his estate.
Along with the families of Garcia and Flores were Christopher Salinas, father of Samuel, 10, Oscar Orona, father of Noah, 10, Cristina Olivarez and Angelica Rodriguez, mother of Leann.
Their children were hospitalized after Ramos shot them during the May 24 massacre that also left at least 17 others injured.
‘Each of these children have undergone extensive medical care.Some have undergone multiple surgeries,’ the lawsuit states. ‘They have all suffered severe physical injuries and unimaginable emotional trauma.
‘They witnessed their friends and teachers being shot and dying in front of them.’
The plaintiffs are accusing Ramos of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and intentional infliction of emotional distress and malice.
The families are also demanding a trial by jury.
Injury attorney Thomas Henry said the lawsuit would breakdown all the factors involved that led to Ramos killing 21 people before dying in a shootout with police on May 24
Henry said the family would explore possible legal action against ‘all responsible parties for possible constitutional rights violations, gun law violations, and violations of laws, policies, and techinfluential procedures pertaining to school safety.’
This could include legal action against local law enforcement who waited about an hour before entering the school after incorrectly believing that Ramos had stopped his rampage and barricaded himself in a classroom when they arrived.
The Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District could also face legal action after investigators found the back door Ramos entered the school through failed to lock.
Henry previously represented several victims of the November 2017 Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church shooting in a lawsuit against the federal government, securing his clients $230 million in a case that has been appealed by the Department of Justice.
The Texas attorney added that both the Uvalde and Sutherland Springs lawsuits would also be effective in pressuring lawmakers to pass gun reform laws as a means to crackdown on deadly shootings.
‘We will see an effect on future policies as the debate goes on, particularly with age restrictions on buying fire arms,’ Henry said.’Personally, I think it should be set at around 26.’
The lawsuit could be the first in a series of suits to come as a result of the shooting after the father of one of the victims announced earlier this week that he has hired the lawyers who helped families from the Sandy Hook school shooting sue a gun-maker for $73 million.
Alfred Garza, the father of Uvalde school shooting victim Amerie Jo Garza, has hired the lawyers who won Sandy Hook victim families $73million in a lawsuit against gun manufacturer Remington
In his attack he used a rifle manufactured by Daniel Defense, the DDM4 Rifle (pictured)